A recent press release from GMC for Glass Industry informs on how the new Glass Stress Meter from Glasstress can measure the stress on tempered, heat strengthened glass, and thus obtain fragmentation evaluation without breaking the glass.
According to Glasstress, the advantages of the Stress Meter, compared with the previous devices on the market, are as follows:
- the stress meter can be located at the unloading section of the tempering equipment;
- no need to determine the tin bath side, both sides can be measured;
- measurement is fully automatic and takes only 3 seconds, thus saving time;
- real measurement of stress value, MPa (mega Pascal);
- typical curve stress distribution through glass thickness, extension of surface, compression of core;
- measurements on flat glass and bent glass (with radius over 300mm);
- data are immediately transferred to a Notebook PC via USB;
- historic of all measurements and filing for quality monitoring organization;
- GMC data correspondence Stress Value/Fragmentation cracks number as per EN12150-1;
- no need of refraction liquid (which is costly), alcohol (ethylene) is sufficient;
- very compact device, alcohol thank integrated, to clean the glass and ensure optical measurement.
The Stress Meter will be on show at Vitrum 2013.